Saturday, June 2, 2007

Saturday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time

352 Saturday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time

CCC Cross Reference:
There are no citation references for these readings.

Back to Deacon's Bench '07
Back to SOW II '11
Back to SOW II '13
Back to SOW II '15
Back to SOW II '21

Reading 1
Sir 51:12 cd-20

I thank the Lord and I praise him;
I bless the name of the Lord.
When I was young and innocent,
I sought wisdom openly in my prayer
I prayed for her before the temple,
and I will seek her until the end,
and she flourished as a grape soon ripe.
My heart delighted in her,
My feet kept to the level path
because from earliest youth I was familiar with her.
In the short time I paid heed,
I met with great instruction.
Since in this way I have profited,
I will give my teacher grateful praise.
I became resolutely devoted to her—
the good I persistently strove for.
My soul was tormented in seeking her,
My hand opened her gate
and I came to know her secrets.
I directed my soul to her,
and in cleanness I attained to her.

Responsorial Psalm
Ps 19:8, 9, 10, 11

R. (9ab) The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.
The law of the Lord is perfect,
refreshing the soul.
The decree of the Lord is trustworthy,
giving wisdom to the simple.
R. The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.
The precepts of the Lord are right,
rejoicing the heart.
The command of the Lord is clear,
enlightening the eye.
R. The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.
The fear of the Lord is pure,
enduring forever;
The ordinances of the Lord are true,
all of them just.
R. The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.
They are more precious than gold,
than a heap of purest gold;
Sweeter also than syrup
or honey from the comb.
R. The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart.

Gospel
Mk 11:27-33

Jesus and his disciples returned once more to Jerusalem.
As he was walking in the temple area,
the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders
approached him and said to him,
“By what authority are you doing these things?
Or who gave you this authority to do them?”
Jesus said to them, “I shall ask you one question.
Answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things.
Was John’s baptism of heavenly or of human origin? Answer me.”
They discussed this among themselves and said,
“If we say, ‘Of heavenly origin,’ he will say,
‘Then why did you not believe him?’
But shall we say, ‘Of human origin’?”–
they feared the crowd,
for they all thought John really was a prophet.
So they said to Jesus in reply, “We do not know.”
Then Jesus said to them,
“Neither shall I tell you by what authority I do these things.”

Readings from the Jerusalem Bible
First reading Ecclesiasticus 51:17 – 27

I will thank you and praise you,
and bless the name of the Lord.
When I was still a youth, before I went traveling,
in my prayers I asked outright for wisdom.
Outside the sanctuary I would pray for her,
and to the last I will continue to seek her.
From her blossoming to the ripening of her grape
my heart has taken its delight in her.
My foot has pursued a straight path,
I have been following her steps ever since my youth.
By bowing my ear a little I have received her,
and have found much instruction.
Thanks to her I have advanced;
the glory be to him who has given me wisdom!
For I am determined to put her into practice,
I have earnestly pursued what is good, I will not be put to shame.
My soul has fought to possess her,
I have been scrupulous in keeping the Law;
I have stretched out my hands to heaven
and bewailed my ignorance of her;
I have directed my soul towards her,
and in purity have found her.

Psalm: Psalm 18:8-11

The precepts of the Lord gladden the heart.
The law of the Lord is perfect,
  it revives the soul.
The rule of the Lord is to be trusted,
  it gives wisdom to the simple.
The precepts of the Lord gladden the heart.
The precepts of the Lord are right,
  they gladden the heart.
The command of the Lord is clear,
  it gives light to the eyes.
The precepts of the Lord gladden the heart.
The fear of the Lord is holy,
  abiding for ever.
The decrees of the Lord are truth
  and all of them just.
The precepts of the Lord gladden the heart.
They are more to be desired than gold,
  than the purest of gold
and sweeter are they than honey,
  than honey from the comb.
The precepts of the Lord gladden the heart.


Gospel Mark 11:27 – 33

They came to Jerusalem again, and as Jesus was walking in the Temple, the chief priests and the scribes and the elders came to him, and they said to him, ‘What authority have you for acting like this? Or who gave you authority to do these things?’ Jesus said to them, ‘I will ask you a question, only one; answer me and I will tell you my authority for acting like this. John’s baptism: did it come from heaven, or from man? Answer me that.’ And they argued it out this way among themselves: ‘If we say from heaven, he will say, “Then why did you refuse to believe him?” But dare we say from man?’ – they had the people to fear, for everyone held that John was a real prophet. So their reply to Jesus was, ‘We do not know’. And Jesus said to them, ‘Nor will I tell you my authority for acting like this’.

Readings and Commentary from the Navarre Bible

Saturday of the 8th Week in Ordinary Time

From: Sirach 51:12cd-20

Thanksgiving Hymn (Continuation)
--------------------------------------------------
[12cd] Therefore I will give thanks to thee and praise thee, and I will bless the
name of the Lord.

Poem in the Quest for Wisdom
---------------------------------------------
[13] While I was still young before I went on my travels, I sought wisdom openly in my prayer. [14] Before the temple I asked for her, and I will search for her to the last. [15] From blossom to ripening grape my heart delighted in her; my foot entered upon the straight path; from my youth I followed her steps. [16] I inclined my ear a little and received her, and I found for myself much instruction. [17] I made progress therein; to him who gives wisdom I will give glory. [18] For I resolved to live according to wisdom, and I was zealous for the good; and I shall never be put to shame. [19] My soul grappled with wisdom, and in my conduct I was strict; I spread out my hands to the heavens, and lamented my ignorance of her. [20] I directed my soul to her, and through purification I found her. I gained understanding with her from the first, therefore I will not be forsaken.

*********************************************************************************************
Commentary:

51:13-30. In Qumran's cave no. 11 a substantial part of the Hebrew text of this poem was discovered. It shows the epilogue poem originally to have been acrostic, that is, each of the verses begins with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet, from beginning to end, in order. The same happens at the very end of the book of Proverbs, perhaps the most typical of the wisdom books: there we find the poem about the "perfect wife" (Prov 31:10-31), which is also acrostic. The poem in Sirach is a call to young men to set out without delay on the quest for wisdom.

*********************************************************************************************
From: Mark 11:27-33

Jesus' Authority
-----------------------
[27] And they (Jesus and his disciples) came to Jerusalem. And as he was walking in the temple, the chief priests and the scribes and the elders came to him, [28] and they said to him, "By what authority are you doing these things, or who gave you this authority to do them?" [29] Jesus said to them, "I will ask you a question; answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I do these things. [30] Was the baptism of John from heaven or from men? Answer me." [31] And they argued with one another, "If we say, 'From heaven,' he will say, 'Why then did you not believe him?' [32] But shall we say, 'From men'?"-- they were afraid of the people, for all held that John was a real prophet. [33] So they answered Jesus, "We do not know." And Jesus said to them, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things."

*********************************************************************************************
Commentary:

27-33. Those who put this question to Jesus are the same people as, some days earlier, sought to destroy him (cf. Mk 11:18). They represent the official Judaism of the period (cf. note on Mt 2:4). Jesus had already given proofs and signs of being the Messiah, in his miracles and preaching; and St. John the Baptist had borne witness about who Jesus was. This is why, before replying, our Lord asks them to recognize the truth proclaimed by the Precursor. But they do not want to accept this truth; nor do they want to reject it publicly, out of fear of the people. Since they are not ready to admit their mistake, any further explanation Jesus might offer would serve no purpose.

This episode has many parallels in everyday life: anyone who seeks to call God to account will be confounded.

*********************************************************************************************
Source: "The Navarre Bible: Text and Commentaries". Biblical text from the Revised Standard Version and New Vulgate. Commentaries by members of the Faculty of Theology, University of Navarre, Spain.

Published by Four Courts Press, Kill Lane, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland, and by Scepter Publishers in the United States. We encourage readers to purchase The Navarre Bible for personal study. See Scepter Publishers for details.

No comments: