Friday, November 7, 2008

Friday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

489 Friday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

CCC Cross Reference:
Phil 3:16-17 1156, 2633; Phil 3:18-21 2204; Phil 3:20 2217; Phil 3:21 2286; Phil 4:1 1807
Lk 16:1 952; Lk 16:3 952

Back to Deacon’s Bench '08
Back to SOW II '10
Back to SOW II '14
Back to SOW II '16
Back to SOW II '20

Reading 1
Phil 3:17—4:1

Join with others in being imitators of me, brothers and sisters,
and observe those who thus conduct themselves
according to the model you have in us.
For many, as I have often told you
and now tell you even in tears,
conduct themselves as enemies of the cross of Christ.
Their end is destruction.
Their God is their stomach;
their glory is in their “shame.”
Their minds are occupied with earthly things.
But our citizenship is in heaven,
and from it we also await a savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.
He will change our lowly body
to conform with his glorified Body
by the power that enables him also
to bring all things into subjection to himself.

Therefore, my brothers and sisters,
whom I love and long for, my joy and crown,
in this way stand firm in the Lord, beloved.

Responsorial Psalm
Ps 122:1-2, 3-4ab, 4cd-5

R. (1) Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord.

I rejoiced because they said to me,
“We will go up to the house of the LORD.”
And now we have set foot
within your gates, O Jerusalem.
R. Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord.

Jerusalem, built as a city
with compact unity.
To it the tribes go up,
the tribes of the LORD.
R. Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord.

According to the decree for Israel,
to give thanks to the name of the LORD.
In it are set up judgment seats,
seats for the house of David.
R. Let us go rejoicing to the house of the Lord.

Gospel
Lk 16:1-8

Jesus said to his disciples, “A rich man had a steward
who was reported to him for squandering his property.
He summoned him and said,
‘What is this I hear about you?
Prepare a full account of your stewardship,
because you can no longer be my steward.’
The steward said to himself, ‘What shall I do,
now that my master is taking the position of steward away from me?
I am not strong enough to dig and I am ashamed to beg.
I know what I shall do so that,
when I am removed from the stewardship,
they may welcome me into their homes.’
He called in his master’s debtors one by one.
To the first he said, ‘How much do you owe my master?’
He replied, ‘One hundred measures of olive oil.’
He said to him, ‘Here is your promissory note.
Sit down and quickly write one for fifty.’
Then to another he said, ‘And you, how much do you owe?’
He replied, ‘One hundred measures of wheat.’
He said to him, ‘Here is your promissory note;
write one for eighty.’
And the master commended that dishonest steward for acting prudently.
For the children of this world
are more prudent in dealing with their own generation
than the children of light.”

Readings from the Jerusalem Bible
First reading Philippians 3:17-4:1

My brothers, be united in following my rule of life. Take as your models everybody who is already doing this and study them as you used to study us. I have told you often, and I repeat it today with tears, there are many who are behaving as the enemies of the cross of Christ. They are destined to be lost. They make foods into their god and they are proudest of something they ought to think shameful; the things they think important are earthly things. For us, our homeland is in heaven, and from heaven comes the savior we are waiting for, the Lord Jesus Christ, and he will transfigure these wretched bodies of ours into copies of his glorious body. He will do that by the same power with which he can subdue the whole universe.

So then, my brothers and dear friends, do not give way but remain faithful in the Lord. I miss you very much, dear friends; you are my joy and my crown.

Psalm: Psalm 121:1-5

I rejoiced when I heard them say: ‘Let us go to God’s house.’

I rejoiced when I heard them say:
  ‘Let us go to God’s house.’
And now our feet are standing
  within your gates, O Jerusalem.

I rejoiced when I heard them say: ‘Let us go to God’s house.’

Jerusalem is built as a city
  strongly compact.
It is there that the tribes go up,
  the tribes of the Lord.

I rejoiced when I heard them say: ‘Let us go to God’s house.’

For Israel’s law it is,
  there to praise the Lord’s name.
There were set the thrones of judgment
  of the house of David.

I rejoiced when I heard them say: ‘Let us go to God’s house.’

Gospel Luke 16:1-8

Jesus said to his disciples, ‘There was a rich man and he had a steward denounced to him for being wasteful with his property. He called for the man and said, “What is this I hear about you? Draw me up an account of your stewardship because you are not to be my steward any longer.” Then the steward said to himself, “Now that my master is taking the stewardship from me, what am I to do? Dig? I am not strong enough. Go begging? I should be too ashamed. Ah, I know what I will do to make sure that when I am dismissed from office there will be some to welcome me into their homes.”

Then he called his master’s debtors one by one. To the first he said, “How much do you owe my master?” “One hundred measures of oil” was the reply. The steward said, “Here, take your bond; sit down straight away and write fifty.” To another he said, “And you, sir, how much do you owe?” “One hundred measures of wheat” was the reply. The steward said, “Here, take your bond and write eighty.”

‘The master praised the dishonest steward for his astuteness. For the children of this world are more astute in dealing with their own kind than are the children of light.’

Readings and Commentary from the Navarre Bible

Friday of the 31st Week in Ordinary Time

From: Philippians 3:17-4:1

Citizens of Heaven
----------------------------
[17] Brethren, join in imitating me, and mark those who so live as you have an example in us. [18] For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, live as enemies of the cross of Christ. [19] Their end is destruction, their god is the belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. [20] But our commonwealth is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, [21] who will change our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power which enables him even to subject all things to himself.

Exhortation to Perseverance and Joy
-----------------------------------------------------
[1] Therefore, my brethren, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved.


Commentary:

17. The Apostle's teaching goes further than to list a series of truths and rules for moral behavior: he backs this up with his own life in the service of the Gospel, and, through it, all men; this is what makes his preaching arresting and convincing.

There is no better teaching than the teacher's own example," St John Chrysostom exclaims, commenting on this passage; "by taking this course the teacher is sure of getting his disciple to follow him. Speak wisely, instruct as eloquently as you can ..., but your example will make a greater impression, will be more decisive.... When your actions are in line with your words, nobody will be able to find fault with you" ("Hom. on Phil, ad loc.").

This, then, is the standard Christians should aim at. It will help those they come in contact with to learn how to be hard-working, noble, loyal and sincere people, or at least to tend in that direction.

One can see from this verse, as from many other passages in his letters, that St Paul refers to himself now as "me", now as "us". In the second case he is probably also referring to his co-workers; these they should also imitate, for like him they are imitators of Christ (cf. 1 Cor 4:17). it is quite likely that he is thinking particularly of Timothy, whose name he put alongside his own at the head of this letter -- and whom he praised in glorious terms in the previous chapter (cf. Phil 2:19, 22).

Imitation of the saints is a very good way to equip oneself to serve others. "Most earnestly, then, we exhort you", Pius XII says, "be very solicitous for the salvation of those whom Providence has entrusted to your apostolic labors, maintaining throughout the closest union with our divine Redeemer, by whose strength we can do all things (cf. Phil 4:13). It is our ardent desire, beloved sons, that you may emulate those saintly men of old who, by the immensity of their achievement, bore witness to the power of divine grace. Would that each of you could on the evidence of the faithful attribute to himself in humble sincerity the words of the Apostle: 'I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls' (2 Cor 12:15)" ("Menti Nostrae", 31).

18-19. St Paul points to the bad example given by those (cf. v. 2) who, by upholding false doctrines or abusing their Christian freedom, lead a life steeped in vice; they let themselves be controlled by their sensual appetites and they set their hearts on things which enslave them, which should rather make them blush. They are enemies of Christ's cross.

"They glory in their own shame": they take pride in behavior which is shameful. This may also be an allusion to circumcision, for Judaizers were proud of a mark which decency keeps covered.

20-21. "It is nature, flawed by sin, that begets all the citizens of the earthly city, whereas it is grace alone which frees nature from sin, which begets citizens of the heavenly city" ("De Civitate Dei", 15, 2). Christians are "citizens of heaven" and therefore are called to live a life that is joyful and full of hope, as befits children of God.

The effort to live in a manner worthy of members of the commonwealth of heaven is aided by hope in the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in glory. The Parousia, as well as the passion and death of Christ and his subsequent resurrection, are constant themes in the Apostle's preaching. Reflection on these mysteries helps us to have hope and gives us encouragement in our everyday struggle.

Christ's resurrection is the cause of our resurrection, for "Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead" (1 Cor 15: 20-21). An essential prerequisite for attaining resurrection in glory is the effort to identify with Christ, in both joy and suffering, in both life and death. "If we have died with him, we shall also live with him; if we endure, we shall also reign with him" (2 Tim 2:12). Christ is the Lord of all creation; his authority extends over the entire universe (cf. Col 1:15-20). If we make the effort that fidelity requires, he will take our body, which is weak and subject to illness, death and decay, and transform it into a glorious body.

From: Luke 16:1-8

The Unjust Steward
-----------------------------
[1] He (Jesus) also said to the disciples, "There was a rich man who had a steward, and charges were brought to him that this man was wasting his goods. [2] And he called him and said to him, 'What is this that I hear from you? Turn in the account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.' [3] And the steward said to himself, 'What shall I do, since my master is taking the stewardship away from me? I am not strong enough to dig, and I am ashamed to beg. [4] I have decided what to do, so that people may receive me into their houses when I am put out of the stewardship.' [5] So, summoning his master's debtors one by one, he said to the first, 'How much do you owe my master?' [6] He said, 'A hundred measures of oil.' And he said to him, 'Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.' [7] Then he said to another, 'And how much do you owe?' He said, 'A hundred measures of wheat.' He said to him, 'Take your bill, and write eighty.' [8] The master commended the dishonest steward for his prudence; for the sons of this world are wiser in their own generation that the sons of light.


Commentary:

1-8. The unfaithful steward manages to avoid falling on hard times. Of course, our Lord presumes that we realize the immorality of the man's behavior. What he emphasizes and praises, however, is his shrewdness and effort: he tries to derive maximum material advantages from his former position as steward. In saving our soul and spreading the Kingdom of God, our Lord wants us to apply at least the same ingenuity and effort as people put into their worldly affairs or their attempts to attain some human ideal. The fact that we can count on God's grace does not in any way exempt us from the need to employ all available legitimate human resources even if that means strenuous effort and heroic sacrifice.

"What zeal people put into their earthly affairs: dreaming of honors, striving for riches, bent on sensuality. Men and women, rich and poor, old and middle-aged and young and even children: all of them the same. When you and I put the same zeal into the affairs of our souls, we will have a living and operative faith: and there will be no obstacle that we cannot overcome in our apostolic undertakings" (St. J. Escriva, "The Way", 317).


Source: "The Navarre Bible: Text and Commentaries". Biblical text from the Revised Standard Version and New Vulgate. Commentaries by members of the Faculty of Theology, University of Navarre, Spain.

Published by Four Courts Press, Kill Lane, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland, and by Scepter Publishers in the United States. We encourage readers to purchase The Navarre Bible for personal study. See Scepter Publishers for details.

No comments: