Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thursday of the Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time

482 Thursday of the Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time

CCC Cross Reference:
Eph 6:18-20 2636; Eph 6:18 1073, 1174, 2742
Lk 13:31 575; Lk 13:33 557; Lk 13:35 585

Back to Deacon’s Bench '08
Back to SOW II '14
Back to SOW II '16
Back to SOW II '20

Reading 1
Eph 6:10-20

Brothers and sisters:
Draw your strength from the Lord and from his mighty power.
Put on the armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm
against the tactics of the Devil.
For our struggle is not with flesh and blood
but with the principalities, with the powers,
with the world rulers of this present darkness,
with the evil spirits in the heavens.
Therefore, put on the armor of God,
that you may be able to resist on the evil day
and, having done everything, to hold your ground.
So stand fast with your loins girded in truth,
clothed with righteousness as a breastplate,
and your feet shod in readiness for the Gospel of peace.
In all circumstances, hold faith as a shield,
to quench all the flaming arrows of the Evil One.
And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit,
which is the word of God.

With all prayer and supplication,
pray at every opportunity in the Spirit.
To that end, be watchful with all perseverance and supplication
for all the holy ones and also for me,
that speech may be given me to open my mouth,
to make known with boldness the mystery of the Gospel
for which I am an ambassador in chains,
so that I may have the courage to speak as I must.

Responsorial Psalm
Ps 144:1b, 2, 9-10

R. (1b) Blessed be the Lord, my Rock!

Blessed be the LORD, my rock,
who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war.
R. Blessed be the Lord, my Rock!

My mercy and my fortress,
my stronghold, my deliverer,
My shield, in whom I trust,
who subdues my people under me.
R. Blessed be the Lord, my Rock!

O God, I will sing a new song to you;
with a ten‑stringed lyre I will chant your praise,
You who give victory to kings,
and deliver David, your servant from the evil sword.
R. Blessed be the Lord, my Rock!

Gospel
Lk 13:31-35

Some Pharisees came to Jesus and said,
“Go away, leave this area because Herod wants to kill you.”
He replied, “Go and tell that fox,
‘Behold, I cast out demons and I perform healings today and tomorrow,
and on the third day I accomplish my purpose.
Yet I must continue on my way today, tomorrow, and the following day,
for it is impossible that a prophet should die
outside of Jerusalem.’

“Jerusalem, Jerusalem,
you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you,
how many times I yearned to gather your children together
as a hen gathers her brood under her wings,
but you were unwilling!
Behold, your house will be abandoned.
But I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say,
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.”

Readings from the Jerusalem Bible

First reading Ephesians 6:10 – 20

Finally, grow strong in the Lord, with the strength of his power. Put God’s amour on so as to be able to resist the devil’s tactics. For it is not against human enemies that we have to struggle, but against the Sovereignties and the Powers who originate the darkness in this world, the spiritual army of evil in the heavens. That is why you must rely on God’s armour, or you will not be able to put up any resistance when the worst happens, or have enough resources to hold your ground.
So stand your ground, with truth buckled round your waist, and integrity for a breastplate, wearing for shoes on your feet the eagerness to spread the gospel of peace and always carrying the shield of faith so that you can use it to put out the burning arrows of the evil one. And then you must accept salvation from God to be your helmet and receive the word of God from the Spirit to use as a sword.

Pray all the time, asking for what you need, praying in the Spirit on every possible occasion. Never get tired of staying awake to pray for all the saints; and pray for me to be given an opportunity to open my mouth and speak without fear and give out the mystery of the gospel of which I am an ambassador in chains; pray that in proclaiming it I may speak as boldly as I ought to.

Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 143:1-2,9-10

Blessed be the Lord, my rock.

Blessed be the Lord, my rock,
  who trains my arms for battle,
  who prepares my hands for war.

Blessed be the Lord, my rock.

He is my love, my fortress;
  he is my stronghold, my saviour
my shield, my place of refuge.
  He brings peoples under my rule.

Blessed be the Lord, my rock.

To you, O God, will I sing a new song;
  I will play on the ten-stringed lute
to you who give kings their victory,
  who set David your servant free.

Blessed be the Lord, my rock.

Gospel Luke 13:31 – 35

Just at this time some Pharisees came up. ‘Go away’ they said. ‘Leave this place, because Herod means to kill you.’ He replied, ‘You may go and give that fox this message: Learn that today and tomorrow I cast out devils and on the third day attain my end. But for today and tomorrow and the next day I must go on, since it would not be right for a prophet to die outside Jerusalem.

‘Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you that kill the prophets and stone those who are sent to you! How often have I longed to gather your children, as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you refused! So be it! Your house will be left to you. Yes, I promise you, you shall not see me till the time comes when you say:
Blessings on him who comes in the name of the Lord!’

Readings and Commentary from the Navarre Bible

Thursday of the 30th Week in Ordinary Time

From: Ephesians 6:10-20

Weapons for Spiritual War
--------------------------------------
[10] Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. [11] Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. [12] For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. [13] Therefore take the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. [14] Stand therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, [15] and having shod your feet with the equipment of the gospel of peace; [16] above all taking the shield of faith, with which you can quench all the flaming darts of the evil one. [17] And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. [18] Pray at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, [19] and also for me, that utterance may be given me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, [20] for which I am an ambassador in chains; that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.

*********************************************************************************************
Commentary:

10-20. After these counsels to parents and children, servants and masters, the Apostle says something very important: all need to be prepared to struggle "against the principalities" of this world (v. 12). He is referring to those angels who rebelled against God and whom Christ has already overcome (1 Cor 15:24; Col 1:13-14; 2:15), but against whom we still have to contend. This is a struggle which must be pursued to the end: Paul uses terminology to do with the armor and weapons of Roman soldiers to describe the form this combat must take. First he recommends that they put on the "armor of God" (v. 13), for the "world rulers" who have to be striven against can be defeated only with spiritual weapons, which God supplies to those who love him-- truth, righteousness, peace, faith (vv. 14-16), not forgetting the need for constant prayer moved by the Spirit (v. 18) and a strong sense of brotherhood.

These weapons, since they are supernatural, are a guarantee of victory and therefore they enable one to engage in the struggle cheerfully and confidently. "Let us be filled with confidence", St John Chrysostom exhorts, "and let us discard everything so as to be able to meet this onslaught. Christ has equipped us with weapons more splendid than gold, more resistant than steel, weapons more fiery than any flame and lighter than the slightest breeze [...]. These are weapons of a totally new kind, for they have been forged for a previously unheard-of type of combat. I, who am a mere man, find myself called upon to deal blows to demons; I, who am clothed in flesh, find myself at war with incorporeal powers. God has designed for me also an armor made, not of metal, but of justice; he has designed for me a shield not of bronze but of faith. I hold in my hand a keen sword, the word of the Spirit [...]. Your victory must be that of a man who rests content" ("Baptismal Catechesis", 3, 11-12).

St Paul, who is here writing from prison, in chains (v. 20) and in need of the help of God and of all his brethren in the faith, asks them to pray for him (v. 19), so that he may freely and effectively preach the Gospel.

16. The devil never ceases to try to find ways to bring about man's eternal damnation. But once overcome by Christ on the cross he has no longer any real power over us provided we use in our struggle against him the weapons provided by faith and complete trust in God. St John of Avila argues in this way: "Since this enemy is stronger than we are, we must avail of the 'shield of faith', which is some- thing supernatural, whether it be by using a word of God, or receiving the sacraments or (countering the devil with) a doctrine of the Church. We need to believe firmly with our mind that all our strength comes from God" ("Audi Filia", 30).

18. Prayer is our outstanding supernatural resource for fighting the wiles of the enemy, "Prayer is, beyond doubt, the most powerful weapon the Lord gives us to conquer evil passions and temptations of the devil; but we must really put ourselves into our prayer: it is not enough just to say the words, it must come from the heart. And also prayer needs to be continuous, we must pray no matter what kind of situation we find ourselves in: the warfare we are engaged in is on-going, so our prayer must be on-going also [...]. The Apostle adds 'for all the saints', because we should not only pray for ourselves but for the perseverance of all the faithful in the grace of God" (St Alphonsus, "Thoughts on the Passion", 9, 3).

The Apostle also identifies, as a supernatural resource in this struggle, a solicitous care for the holiness of others. It is quite likely that this concern will lead us to notice defects as well as virtues in our neighbor. This should not cause us to look down on him or criticize him, but rather to pray for him and help him improve. "If you notice some defect in your friend," St Ambrose recommends, "correct him privately; if he fails to listen to you, take him to task openly. For corrections are helpful and they are much more useful that a mute friendship. If your friend feels offended, you should still correct him; do not be afraid to insist on the point, even if the bitter taste of correction does not appeal to him. It is written in the Book of Proverbs: 'Faithful are the wounds of a friend, profuse the kisses of an enemy'" ("De Officiis Ministrorum", III, chap. XII, 127).

*********************************************************************************************

From: Luke 13:31-35

Jesus' Reply to Herod
--------------------------------
[31] At that very hour some Pharisees came, and said to him (Jesus), "Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you." [32] And he said to them, "Go and tell that fox, 'Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow, and the third day I finish my course. [33] Nevertheless I must go on my way today and tomorrow and the day following; for it cannot be that a prophet should perish away from Jerusalem.'

Jerusalem Admonished
----------------------------------
[34] "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, killing the prophets and stoning those who are sent to you! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brook under her wings, and you would not! [35] Behold, your house is forsaken. And I tell you, you will not see me until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"

*********************************************************************************************
Commentary:

31-33. This episode apparently took place in the Perea region which, like Galilee, was under the jurisdiction of Herod Antipas (cf. Lk 3:1), a son of Herod the Great (cf. note on Mt 2:1). On other occasions St. Luke mentions that Herod was keen to meet Jesus and see him perform a miracle (cf. Lk 9:9; 23:8). These Pharisees may be giving Jesus the warning just to get him to go away. Jesus calls Herod-- and indirectly his accomplices--a "fox", once again showing his rejection of duplicity and hypocrisy.

Jesus' answer shows them he is completely in command of his life and death: he is the Son of God and his Father's will is his only governor (cf. Jn 10:18).

34. Jesus here shows the infinite extent of his love. St Augustine explores the meaning of this touching simile: "You see, brethren, how a hen becomes weak with her chickens. No other bird, when it is a mother, shows its maternity so clearly. We see all kinds of sparrows building their nests before our eyes; we see swallows, storks, doves, every day building their nests; but we do not know them to be parents, except when we see them on their nests. But the hen is so enfeebled over her brood that even if the chickens are not following her, even if you do not see the young ones, you still know her at once to be a mother. With her wings drooping, her feathers ruffled, her note hoarse, in all her limbs she becomes so sunken and abject, that, as I have said, even though you cannot see her young, you can see she is a mother. That is the way Jesus feels" ("In Ioann. Evang.", 15, 7).

35. Jesus shows the deep sorrow he feels over Jerusalem's resistance to the love God had so often shown it. Later St Luke will record Jesus' weeping over Jerusalem (cf. Lk 19:41). See also the note on Mt 23:37-39.

[The note on Mt 23:37-39 states:

Jesus' moving remarks seem almost to sum up the entire history of salvation and are a testimony to his divinity. Who if not God was the source of all these acts of mercy which marks the stages of the history of Israel? The image of being protected by wings, which occurs often in the Old Testament, refers to God's love and protection of his people. It is to be found in the prophets, in the canticles of Moses (cf. Deut 32:11), and in many psalms (cf. 17:8; 36:8; 57:2; 61:5; 63:8). "And you would not": the Kingdom of God has been preached to them unremittingly for centuries by the prophets; in these last few years by Jesus himself, the Word of God made man. But the "Holy City" has resisted all the unique graces offered it. Jerusalem should serve as a warning to every Christian: the freedom God has given us by creating us in his image and likeness means that we have this terrible capacity to reject him. A Christian's life is a continuous series of conversions--repeated instances of repentance, of turning to God, who, loving Father that he is, is every ready to forgive.]

*********************************************************************************************
Source: "The Navarre Bible: Text and Commentaries". Biblical text from the Revised Standard Version and New Vulgate. Commentaries by members of the Faculty of Theology, University of Navarre, Spain.

Published by Four Courts Press, Kill Lane, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland, and by Scepter Publishers in the United States. We encourage readers to purchase The Navarre Bible for personal study. See Scepter Publishers for details.

No comments: