Friday, September 28, 2007

Friday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time

453 Friday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time

CCC Cross Reference:
Lk 9:18-20 2600

Back to Deacon’s Bench '07
Back to Servant of the Word '09
Back to SOW II '11
Back to SOW II '13
Back to SOW II '15
Back to SOW II '19
Back to SOW II '21

Reading 1
Hg 1:15-2:9

In the second year of King Darius,
on the twenty-first day of the seventh month,
the word of the Lord came through the prophet Haggai:
Tell this to the governor of Judah,
Zerubbabel, son of Shealtiel,
and to the high priest Joshua, son of Jehozadak,
and to the remnant of the people:

Who is left among you
that saw this house in its former glory?
And how do you see it now?
Does it not seem like nothing in your eyes?
But now take courage, Zerubbabel, says the Lord,
and take courage, Joshua, high priest, son of Jehozadak,
And take courage, all you people of the land,
says the Lord, and work!
For I am with you, says the Lord of hosts.
This is the pact that I made with you
when you came out of Egypt,
And my spirit continues in your midst;
do not fear!
For thus says the Lord of hosts:
One moment yet, a little while,
and I will shake the heavens and the earth,
the sea and the dry land.
I will shake all the nations,
and the treasures of all the nations will come in,
And I will fill this house with glory,
says the Lord of hosts.
Mine is the silver and mine the gold,
says the Lord of hosts.
Greater will be the future glory of this house
than the former, says the Lord of hosts;
And in this place I will give you peace,
says the Lord of hosts!

Responsorial Psalm
Ps 43:1, 2, 3, 4

R. (5) Hope in God; I will praise him, my savior and my God.

Do me justice, O God, and fight my fight
against a faithless people;
from the deceitful and impious man rescue me.
R. Hope in God; I will praise him, my savior and my God.

For you, O God, are my strength.
Why do you keep me so far away?
Why must I go about in mourning,
with the enemy oppressing me?
R. Hope in God; I will praise him, my savior and my God.

Send forth your light and your fidelity;
they shall lead me on
And bring me to your holy mountain,
to your dwelling.place.
R. Hope in God; I will praise him, my savior and my God.

Then will I go in to the altar of God,
the God of my gladness and joy;
Then will I give you thanks upon the harp,
O God, my God!
R. Hope in God; I will praise him, my savior and my God.

Gospel
Lk 9:18-22

Once when Jesus was praying in solitude,
and the disciples were with him,
he asked them, “Who do the crowds say that I am?”
They said in reply, “John the Baptist; others, Elijah;
still others, ‘One of the ancient prophets has arisen.’”
Then he said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
Peter said in reply, “The Christ of God.”
He rebuked them and directed them not to tell this to anyone.

He said, “The Son of Man must suffer greatly
and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes,
and be killed and on the third day be raised.”

Readings from the Jerusalem Bible

First reading Haggai 1:15 - 2:9

In the second year of King Darius, on the twenty-first day of the seventh month, the word of the Lord was addressed through the prophet Haggai, as follows, ‘You are to speak to Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, the high commissioner of Judah, to Joshua son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and to all the remnant of the people. Say this, “Who is there left among you that saw this Temple in its former glory? And how does it look to you now? Does it seem nothing to you? But take courage now, Zerubbabel – it is the Lord who speaks. Courage, High Priest Joshua son of Jehozadak! Courage, all you people of the country! – it is the Lord who speaks. To work! I am with you – it is the Lord of Hosts who speaks– and my spirit remains among you. Do not be afraid! For the Lord of Hosts says this: A little while now, and I am going to shake the heavens and the earth, the sea and the dry land. I will shake all the nations and the treasures of all the nations shall flow in, and I will fill this Temple with glory, says the Lord of Hosts. Mine is the silver, mine the gold! – it is the Lord of Hosts who speaks. The new glory of this Temple is going to surpass the old, says the Lord of Hosts, and in this place I will give peace – it is the Lord of Hosts who speaks.”’

Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 42(43):1-4

Hope in God; I will praise him still, my savior and my God.

Defend me, O God, and plead my cause
  against a godless nation.
From deceitful and cunning men
  rescue me, O God.

Hope in God; I will praise him still, my savior and my God.

Since you, O God, are my stronghold,
  why have you rejected me?
Why do I go mourning
  oppressed by the foe?

Hope in God; I will praise him still, my savior and my God.

O send forth your light and your truth;
  let these be my guide.
Let them bring me to your holy mountain,
  to the place where you dwell.

Hope in God; I will praise him still, my savior and my God.

And I will come to the altar of God,
  the God of my joy.
My redeemer, I will thank you on the harp,
  O God, my God.

Hope in God; I will praise him still, my savior and my God.

Gospel Luke 9:18 – 22

One day when Jesus was praying alone in the presence of his disciples he put this question to them, ‘Who do the crowds say I am?’ And they answered, ‘John the Baptist; others Elijah; and others say one of the ancient prophets come back to life’. ‘But you,’ he said ‘who do you say I am?’ It was Peter who spoke up. ‘The Christ of God’ he said. But he gave them strict orders not to tell anyone anything about this.

‘The Son of Man’ he said ‘is destined to suffer grievously, to be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes and to be put to death, and to be raised up on the third day.’

Readings and Commentary from the Navarre Bible

Friday of the 25th Week in Ordinary Time

From: Haggai 2:1-9

The temple's glory in the future
---------------------------------------------
In the second year of Darius the king, [1] in the seventh month, on the twenty-first day of the month, the word of the Lord came by Haggai the prophet, [2] "Speak now to Zerubbabel the son of She-alti-el, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and to all the remnant of the people, and say, [3] 'Who is left among you that saw this house in its former glory? How do you see it now? Is it not in your sight as nothing? [4] Yet not take courage, O Zerubbabel, says the Lord; take courage, O Joshua, son of Jehozadak, the high priest; take courage, all you people of the land, says the Lord; work, for I am with you, says the Lord of hosts, [5] according to the promise that I made you when you came out of Egypt. My Spirit abides among you; fear not. [6] For thus says the Lord of hosts: Once again, in a little while, I will shake the heavens and the earth and the sea and the dry land; [7] and I will shake all nations, so that the treasures of all nations shall come in, and I will fill this house with splendour, says the Lord of hosts. [9] The latter splendour of this house shall be greater than the former, says the Lord of hosts; and in this place I will give prosperity, says the Lord of hosts.'"

*********************************************************************************************
Commentary:

2:1-9. The dating given in v. 1 (which corresponds to 17 October 520) indicates that this is a different prophetical discourse. Scarcely a month has passed since the date in 1:15, and one gets the impression that the people have been working extremely hard, but the results are somewhat disappointing – at lest for the older people, who knew how splendid the temple of Solomon was (v. 3). This fits in with what the book of Ezra has to say: "Many of the priests and Levites and heads of fathers' houses, old men who had seen the first house, wept with a loud voice when they say the foundation of the house being laid" (Ezra 3:12). But they should not have been surprised; it was one thing to build a temple in a period of splendour like Solomon's, when money was no object; it was quite another to do so in a country still in a state of desolation. Hence the encouraging tone of Haggai's oracle: the Lord renews the promises he made at the time of the exodus (vv. 4-5), when he turned a crowd of slaves into a nation; moreover, he promises that the new temple will be richer than the first: Solomon's temple had its glory (v. 3), but the new temple will be filled with splendour (v. 7); it will be more splendid than the first (v. 9); and it will be a source of prosperity (v. 9) and all the nations will flock there (v. 7; cf. Is 60:7-11).

The language of these verses is similar to that of apocalyptic passages in other prophets (cf. e.g. Is 2:2, Amos 5:8, Zeph 1:4). The tone of what Haggai says here allows these verses to be interpreted as a prophecy about Christ and the Church: "The coming of the Lord into this world was like the building of a great temple, glorious beyond imagining; this temple is more perfect and beautiful than that of old, as the worship of Christ according to his Gospel is more perfect than the worship of God according to the law, as the reality is more beautiful than its image […]. The glory of the new temple, the Church, is much greater than the glory of the old. Those who give of themselves and work devoutly to build the new temple will receive Christ himself, as their reward from the Saviour and as a gift from heaven; he is our peace, the peace of all mankind, the one through whom we can go to the Father in the one Spirit. He himself said: and in this place I will give prosperity, says the Lord of hosts" (St Cyril of Alexandria, "Commentarius in Aggaeum", 14).

This messianic tone is even more clear in v. 7. In the words, "the treasures of all nations shall come in", the word translated as "treasures" has a wide range of meaning: the Hebrew root to which the noun belongs means to desire, wish, delight in, in Hebrew usage, the noun means "that which is desired", riches, treasures. The phrase was translated by the Latin Vulgate/Douai as "the Desired of all nations shall come" (a 1956 Douai edition gives it in capital letters), implying a direct reference to the Messiah; this led to the phrase entering the Advent liturgy, and to "the Desired" becoming a name for Christ in catechesis: "Open your heart to faith, beloved Virgin, your lips to give consent, your chaste body to the Master. Look, the one who all desire to possess is standing at your gates" (St Bernard, "Homiliae super Missus est", 4, 8).

*********************************************************************************************
From: Luke 9:18-22

Peter's Confession of Faith
---------------------------------------
[18] Now it happened that as He (Jesus) was praying alone the disciples were with Him; and He asked them, "Who do the people say that I am?" [19] And they answered, "John the Baptist; but others say, Elijah; and others, that one of the old prophets has risen." [20] And He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" And Peter answered, "The Christ of God."

First Prophecy of the Passion
--------------------------------------------
[21] But He charged and commanded them to tell this to no one, [22] saying, "The Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised."

*********************************************************************************************
Commentary:

20. "Christ" means "anointed" and is a name indicating honor and office. In the Old Law "priests" were anointed (Exodus 29:7 and 40:13), as were "kings" (1 Samuel 9:16), because God laid down that they should receiving anointing in view of their position; there was also a custom to anoint "prophets" (1 Samuel 16:13) because they were interpreters and intermediaries of God. "When Jesus Christ our Savior came into the world, He assumed the position and obligations of the three offices of priest, king and prophet and was therefore called Christ" ("St. Pius V Catechism", I, 3, 7).

22. Jesus prophesied His passion and death in order to help His disciples believe in him. It also showed that He was freely accepting these sufferings He would undergo. "Christ did not seek to be glorified: He chose to come without glory in order to undergo suffering; and you, who have been born without glory, do you wish to be glorified? The route you must take is the one Christ took. This means recognizing Him and it means imitating Him both in His ignominy and in His good repute; thus you will glory in the Cross, which was His path to glory. That was what Paul did, and therefore he glorified in saying, 'Far be it from me to glory except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ' (Galatians 6:14)" (St. Ambrose, "Expositio Evangelii Sec. Lucam, in loc.").

*********************************************************************************************
Source: "The Navarre Bible: Text and Commentaries". Biblical text from the Revised Standard Version and New Vulgate. Commentaries by members of the Faculty of Theology, University of Navarre, Spain.

Published by Four Courts Press, Kill Lane, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, Ireland, and by Scepter Publishers in the United States. We encourage readers to purchase The Navarre Bible for personal study. See Scepter Publishers for details.

No comments: