Thursday, April 18, 2013

NINTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME

87C NINTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME

Catechism Links
CCC 543-546: all are called to enter Kingdom of God
CCC 774-776: the Church as universal sacrament of salvation
CCC 2580: Solomon’s prayer at the dedication of the Temple
CCC 583-586: Jesus and the Temple

CCC Cross Reference:
1 Kgs 8:10-61 2580
Gal 1:1 857

Back to Memorial Bench*

FIRST READING: 1 Kings 8:41-43

In those days, Solomon prayed in the temple, saying,
  "To the foreigner, who is not of your people Israel,
  but comes from a distant land to honor you
  -since they will learn of your great name
  and your mighty hand and your outstretched arm-,
  when he comes and prays toward this temple,
  listen from your heavenly dwelling.
Do all that foreigner asks of you,
  that all the peoples of the earth may know your name,
  may fear you as do your people Israel,
  and may acknowledge that this temple which I have built
  is dedicated to your honor."

RESPONSORIAL PSALM: Psalm 117:1,2

R. (Mark 16:15) Go out to all the world and tell the good news.
  or:
R. Alleluia.

Praise the LORD, all you nations;
  glorify him, all you peoples!
R. Go out to all the world and tell the good news.
  or:
R. Alleluia.

For steadfast is his kindness toward us,
  and the fidelity of the LORD endures forever.
R. Go out to all the world and tell the good news.
  or:
R. Alleluia.

SECOND READING: Galatians 1:1-2, 6-10

Paul, an apostle not from human beings nor through a human
  being
  but through Jesus Christ and God the Father
  who raised him from the dead,
  and all the brothers who are with me,
  to the churches of Galatia.

I am amazed that you are so quickly forsaking
  the one who called you by the grace of Christ
  for a different gospel@not that there is another.
But there are some who are disturbing you
  and wish to pervert the gospel of Christ.
But even if we or an angel from heaven
  should preach to you a gospel
  other than the one that we preached to you,
  let that one be accursed!
As we have said before, and now I say again,
  if anyone preaches to you a gospel
  other than what you have received, let that one be accursed!

Am I now currying favor with humans or with God?
Or am I seeking to please people?
If I were still trying to please people,
  I would not be a slave of Christ.

GOSPEL: Luke 7:1-10

When Jesus had finished all his words to the people,
  he entered Capernaum.
A centurion there had a slave who was ill and about to die,
  and he was valuable to him.
When he heard about Jesus, he sent elders of the Jews to him,
  asking him to come and save the life of his slave.
They approached Jesus and strongly urged him to come, saying,
  "He deserves to have you do this for him,
  for he loves our nation and built the synagogue for us."
And Jesus went with them,
  but when he was only a short distance from the house,
  the centurion sent friends to tell him,
  "Lord, do not trouble yourself,
  for I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof.
Therefore, I did not consider myself worthy to come to you;
  but say the word and let my servant be healed.
For I too am a person subject to authority,
  with soldiers subject to me.
And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes;
  and to another, 'Come here,' and he comes;
  and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it."
When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him
  and, turning, said to the crowd following him,
  "I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith."
When the messengers returned to the house,
  they found the slave in good health.

Note: This Sunday has not been celebrated since the project began.

No comments: