Sunday, June 28, 2009

JUNE 28 SAINT IRENAEUS

JUNE 28

589 SAINT IRENAEUS, BISHOP AND MARTYR MEMORIAL

CCC Cross Reference:
2 Tm 2:22 2518; 2 Tm 2:23-26 2518
Jn 17 2604, 2746, 2758; Jn 17:21-23 260, 877; Jn 17:21 820; Jn 17:22 690; Jn 17:23-26 2750; Jn 17:24 2749, 2750; Jn 17:25 2751; Jn 17:26 589, 729, 2750

From the Common of Martyrs, p. 1794, or the Common of Doctors of the Church, p. 1850,

OR

FIRST READING
2 Timothy 2:22b-26

Beloved:
Pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace,
along with those who call on the Lord with purity of heart.
Avoid foolish and ignorant debates,
for you know that they breed quarrels.
A slave of the Lord should not quarrel,
but should be gentle with everyone,
able to teach, tolerant, correcting opponents with kindness.
It may be that God will grant them repentance
that leads to knowledge of the truth,
and that they may return to their senses out of the Devil's snare,
where they are entrapped by him, for his will.


RESPONSORIAL PSALM
Psalm 37:3-4, 5-6, 30-31

R. (30a) The mouth of the just murmurs wisdom.
Trust in the LORD and do good
that you may dwell in the land and be fed in security.
Take delight in the LORD,
and he will grant you your heart's requests.
R. The mouth of the just murmurs wisdom.
Commit to the LORD your way;
trust in him, and he will act.
He will make justice dawn for you like the light;
bright as the noonday shall be your vindication.
R. The mouth of the just murmurs wisdom.
The mouth of the just tells of wisdom
and his tongue utters what is right.
The law of his God is in his heart,
and his steps do not falter.
R The mouth of the just murmurs wisdom.


GOSPEL
John 17:20-26

Jesus raised his eyes to heaven and said:
"Holy Father, I pray not only for these,
but also for those who will believe in me through their word,
so that they may all be one,
as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
that they also may be in us,
that the world may believe that you sent me.
And I have given them the glory you gave me,
so that they may be one, as we are one,
I in them and you in me,
that they may be brought to perfection as one,
that the world may know that you sent me,
and that you loved them even as you loved me.
Father, they are your gift to me.
I wish that where I am they also may be with me,
that they may see my glory that you gave me,
because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
Righteous Father, the world also does not know you,
but I know you, and they know that you sent me.
I made known to them your name and I will make it known,
that the love with which you loved me
may be in them and I in them."

Back to Memorial Bench

No comments: